Selling Coconut Body Oil: What Every Retailer Needs to Know
As an online retailer, you have to try and meet the shifting demands of the online retail marketplace. Products come and go as fads appear and disappear. But the overall demand for natural and organic beauty products remains steady for a large percentage of consumers. Many retailers choose wholesale body oils for their online stores, with coconut body oil being especially popular. When selling coconut body oil, however, be sure to let your customers know that it can be used for so much more than just skin and body moisturizing. It has a whole wealth of benefits that consumers may not know about.
What is Coconut Body Oil?
Coconut oil is a highly saturated oil that is usually made from dried or fresh coconut meat. In this context, “meat” refers to the delicious white filling that you find in coconuts. It has two basic forms:
- Virgin – As the rawer, more natural form, it is cold-pressed and retains its fruity taste.
- Refined – This form has been processed and does not have the usual smell or taste of coconut.
At room temperature it is solid, but it can have a lotion-like consistency if combined with certain ingredients. It is also very versatile and has a wide variety of uses, including as a cooking oil and for skin and hair beauty products.
About 65% of coconut oil is made up of medium-chain triglycerides (also known as MCTs or fatty acids). It is precisely these fatty acids that give coconut oil its various benefits. The composition breaks down as follows:
- Lauric acid – 49%
- Myristic acid – 18%
- Caprylic acid – 8%
- Palmitic acid – 8%
- Capric acid – 7%
- Oleic acid – 6%
- Linoleic acid – 2%
- Stearic acid – 2%
So what is so special about these fatty acids? Well, their high-fat content makes them excellent moisturizers, effectively protecting the skin and hair by nourishing the cells and tissues.
Coconut Body Oil Is More Than Just A Moisturizer
For any retailer who is considering selling coconut body oil, it’s important to note just how beneficial this edible plant grease can be. In fact, according to a 2018 research review, coconut oil:
- Improves the health of skin, including its repair and function.
- Helps fight aging of the skin.
- Is a highly effective moisturizer.
When selling coconut body oil, it is absolutely crucial that you communicate to your customers just how effective it is at moisturizing the skin. Be sure to emphasize that it is exceptionally good for this purpose so that it becomes the first thing consumers think of when browsing the products in your online store.
Additionally, the most effective and desirable coconut body oils will be free from:
- Synthetic fragrances
- Filler oils
- Hexane/petroleum/propylene/butylene glycol
- Artificial dyes
You can find these types of products by choosing a dropshipping provider that specializes in “natural and organic” options such as Greendropship. When deciding on which provider to collaborate with, be sure to look over their inventory and choose one that will fit with the needs of your clientele. It’s useful to consider that most consumers who are looking for these types of beauty products will be very discerning about what they use, so be sure to meet their demand with the highest-quality products.
Selling Coconut Body Oil for Healthy Skin
Be sure to tell your customers that coconut body oil can be used as:
- Shaving cream – Many female consumers use it to shave their legs due to its moisturizing, soothing, and anti-microbial effects. However, there is an untapped market for men to start using it to shave their face!
- Massage oil – Most massage oils already use coconut oil as its base, so you can just cut out the middleman and apply it directly to sore or aching muscles. Plus, it smells absolutely divine!
- Body scrub – Rather than dishing out for expensive body scrubs, your customers can try a DIY approach. Tell them to take ½ cup, heat it until warm (but not hot), pour it over 1 cup of salt or brown sugar, and then add five drops of their favorite essential oil. The scent of lavender or eucalyptus pairs particularly well with the smell of coconut.
- Cuticle treatment – Nails have a similar cellular structure to human skin, so using coconut body oil can treat cracked skin, prevent hang nails, and hydrate dry, brittle nails.
- Eczema and psoriasis treatment – These unfortunate conditions cause itchy, red, and swollen patches of skin. One study indicated that coconut body oil is effective at treating atopic dermatitis if applied twice daily. The patients experienced less dryness, redness, and scaliness as well as a reduction in staph bacteria that colonized the affected areas.
We haven’t even discussed all the ways that it can be used for hair!
Selling Coconut Body Oil for Healthy Hair
Because of its chemical properties and high levels of saturated fat (over 90%), coconut body oil can be used as a:
- Conditioner – Coconut body oil can easily penetrate strands of hair as well as prevent loss of hair proteins. It can be applied to the hair in the form of a spray or a quarter-sized dollop of oil and then left in overnight. In the morning, simply wash it off with a gentle shampoo.
- DIY hair mask – If a customer has unruly hair, they can soften their locks with coconut body oil. Mix 3 to 5 tablespoons of refined, organic coconut oil with 20 drops of rosemary oil and let it sit for 30 to 60 minutes before rinsing out.
- Frizzy hair – Coconut body oil also works for frizzy or ultra-dry hair. Simply rub or spray a small amount on dry hair and leave in throughout the day.
- Reduce dandruff – Coconut body oil will help lower yeast levels on the scalp that are responsible for flaking, dry skin, inflammation, and itching. Take 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil, heat until warm, and then massage into the scalp. Leave it in for 30 minutes then gently wash out with shampoo.
Isn’t it amazing just how versatile coconut body oil is? There are so many other uses, including being an effective makeup remover that does not have the harsh chemicals you find in other products. Be sure you let your customers know that coconut body oil can be used for a wide variety of purposes.
Coconut Body Oil Products for Your Online Store
If you are selling coconut body oil in your dropshipping store, it goes without saying that choosing the right dropshipping provider is absolutely crucial. Additionally, natural beauty products are in a constant state of high demand. You can attribute this trend to growing consumer awareness about the health benefits as well as increased emphasis on self-care.
Luckily for you, Greendropship specializes in precisely these types of products, with over 20,000 natural and organic options to choose from. These include companies like:
- Nutiva – This popular brand uses organic and young coconuts. It comes in unscented, lavender, grapefruit, or ginger varieties.
- Jason – This body wash combines coconut body oil with shea butter, Vitamin E, and antioxidant polyphenols to give skin a deep moisturizing.
- Everyday Coconut – This ethically traded coconut oil lotion comes with antioxidant-rich coffee berries. It is most effective when used daily.
- Nubian Heritage – A combination of coconut body oil, shea butter, Vitamin E, aloe vera, and papaya enzymes gives this body wash or lotion an extra boost of moisturizing power.
- Desert Essence – Available as a spray, body wash, or mouthwash used to kill germs that cause bad breath. It is combined with Wintergreen and Spearmint essential oils to leave your customers feeling fresh and confident.
- Dr Jacobs – This face and body wash is specially formulated for customers suffering from psoriasis or eczema.
Choosing the right dropshipping provider will allow you to connect with your customers. Once you do so, you can let them know that coconut body oil is so much more than just a skin moisturizer!